about              faq              contact              pinterest              instagram

Friday 20 March 2015

Topshop Makeup - To buy or not to buy?

Clockwise from top: Reflect (Highlighter), Flush (Blush), Ember (Highlighter), Sandcastle (Bronzer)

Let's be honest here. We're all suckers for nice or cute packaging. And even if the product turns out to be the worst thing ever created on earth, we tend to keep them. For collection's sake.

The first thing that made me buy Topshop Makeup was their Buy 1 Get 1 Free sale. I may have been eyeing their makeup products for quite a while now (ever since the were launched really), but I never got around to buying them because I'm not a big fan of clothing brands bringing in beauty products. Also because the prices we're pretty much regular pharmacy brand prices, hence I'd rather stick to my Maybelline and L'oreal. But then, their highlighters caught my eye and I just love me some shimmery highlighting powders. :D

The first thing I ever bought was the highlighter in 'Horizon' which I unfortunately don't have any pictures in this post. It's a peachy bronze shade that compliments most skin tones although it's slightly on the warmer side. It's a perfect colour for your eyelids too. That highlighter was pretty much the reason why I started looking for more highlighters from Topshop because that product was SO GOOD. It's unreal. But seriously, pick it up if you can. From what I know, they have 2 shades in stores here. Sunbeam and Horizon. Sunbeam is a very yellow toned highlighter, which I do not like. It's too yellow for my liking, but it might fit your skin tone so if you're interested, do head down to a store and try it out. The highlighters do come in 3 shades in total which the last shade, again from what I know, is not available in Singapore. It's called 'Crescent Moon'. I don't know if it is discontinued but it looks like a gorgeous pinkish neutral highlight that's similar to 'Mary Lou-manizer' from TheBalm. 

Now back to what I actually have to show.


From L - R : Sandcastle, Reflect, Ember
From L - R : Sandcastle, Reflect, Ember
Ember

Sandcastle
Reflect
Flush
Flush
Top - Blended Out
Bottom - Heavy Swatch
They're not outstanding products, but for the price (given that I bought it at buy 1 get one free, so I bought these for only the price of 2 products), it's actually a pretty good buy. My favourite of the lot would be the cream blush, mainly because it has excellent pigmentation and is so easy to blend. Dries to a demi matte finish, more satin really, and really gives my cheeks that naturally flushed look. It's perfect for lazy days when I don't want a full face of makeup. All I need to do is pop on some mascara on my lashes, and blend this onto my cheeks, and it instantly makes me look effortlessly fresh.

The highlighters on the other hand don't have great pigmentation, they're pretty sheer so I find myself having to really work the product onto my skin with a denser face brush. Meh, not impressed with these 2 highlighters in comparison to 'Horizon'.

'Sandcastle' is a very decent contouring/bronzing shade. It's totally matte so it works really well as a contour, but it's a little bit too orange for me. It's not extremely pigmented so I find it really easy to work with because I don't need to be too careful and spend an excessive amount of time trying to blend it out. Just too bad the shade does not suit me at all, otherwise this would be something I see myself using regularly.

I'd rate all these a B- mainly because the pigmentation isn't the best, there are some standouts like the blush and the 'Horizon' highlighter, but the rest were a little disappointing. But it is a good option for highlighters if you're not willing to fork out $50+ for a M.A.C Mineralize Skin Finish highlighter or any other high-end highlighters.

We all know it's high time drugstore brands come up with highlighting powders because we need decent affordable highlighting powders. Maybe it's just here in Singapore but seriously, if you want a good highlighter, you pretty much have to go to Sephora to look for one. 

Alright, that's all for this post. I hope you all find this helpful if you've been deciding to get makeup from Topshop. I say go for it if you really have your eye on certain products because they do have some very beautiful shades. But if you already have a decently sized makeup collection that covers pretty much every category of makeup products, you can go ahead an skip on Topshop beauty products. Then again, if you're like me and just want to buy it for collection's sake. Go for it, because packaging.

Have a good Friday and enjoy your weekend, beautiful people.

Now back to running dungeons on Guild Wars 2. I have no life. But I'm happy.

xoxo
MsFroufrou

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love to have your brilliant input/suggestions!